2019 Sunflower Experience
Pheasant Run Farm's 2019 Sunflower Experience
Due to heavy rainfall overnight we regret to inform you that we will be closed on Tuesday, August 20. We will plan on being open Wednesday morning unless we tell you otherwise. Sorry for the inconvenience but Mother Nature always has the upper hand!
Junction of US Hwy 30 and State Hwy 131
About a 25 minute drive west of Cedar Rapids on Hwy 30--please note: this is NOT the 19th Avenue address. Click the "Interact with Us" tab for more a map and more information.
Visitors are telling us that both Google and Apple Maps are sending them to weird locations. Please note that we are right along Hwy 30.
If your GPS system tells you to leave Hwy 30, don't believe it! Stay on Hwy 30--you can't miss us!
Visit our Facebook page (Pheasant Run Farm Iowa) to see aerial video of the sunflower field!
Thanks to Becker Ag Service for the drone footage!
What: 3 Acres of Blooming Sunflowers
Cost: $5 per person (includes one sunflower); ages 3 and younger are free
Sunflower Bouquet: For an additional $2 per stem, you can cut as many additional stems as you like
Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
No entry after 7:30 p.m. all days.
Where: The southeast corner of the intersection of US Highway 30 & State Highway 131 (Enter the address 7307 13th Avenue, Belle Plaine, into your GPS for general directions.)
* Important: This is NOT our main farm address!
- Paths have been mown into the sunflowers, so you can wander through them to enjoy their beauty
- Cut-Your-Own Sunflower Bouquet
- Several "photo stations" that include rustic farm equipment on which kids and adults alike can play
- A central area with shade where you can sit and enjoy the sunflowers--some seating will be provided, but you might want to bring a lawn chair
- An elevated platform that will provide a different vantage point for looking at and photographing the sunflowers
- Several kid-friendly activities
What to Wear: Sturdy walking shoes--this is a field, after all!--and comfortable clothing appropriate for wearing in the sun
What to bring: Your camera, sunscreen, water (we will also have bottled water available for a nominal fee), and a folding chair if you think you'll want to sit for awhile. You are welcome to bring a picnic breakfast, lunch, or supper and blanket, if you wish. No alcoholic beverages.
If you plan to cut a sunflower bouquet: Bring your favorite pair of clippers you use in the garden. For those who need clippers, we will provide them and a container with water to cut your stems into. When you're done cutting, we'll wrap your stems in water-proof paper to hold in moisture (we keep the cutting container). If you have a long drive home, consider bringing a bucket, vase, or other container that we can fill with water.
Facilities: A porta-potty and hand-washing station will be on-site
Walking: Terrain is gently rolling. You will need to walk from the parking area and, if you walk all the paths through the sunflowers, you might walk a mile. We've done our best to smooth out the mown pathways, but be advised that this is a field and terrain will not be like walking on a sidewalk! We recommend strollers with large wheels.
Questions? Watch our website, follow us on Facebook (Pheasant Run Farm Iowa) or Instagram (PFRIowa) for the latest updates and information.
We encourage both professional and amateur photographers to come out and take advantage of our beautiful setting in a manner that allows everyone to enjoy the sunflowers.
- Everyone pays the $5 entry fee, except tots 3 years and younger
- Everyone must walk into the field--keep that in mind as you plan props that you would like to use
- You must be patient with other visitors as they enjoy the sunflowers--you cannot commandeer a section, area, or piece of equipment for extended periods of time
- Please tag our farm on any photos you post on social media!